SNV30239

SNV30239

Blogging about

I love blogging about... books

Sunday 17 January 2016

A day of snow and fire

 "The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow" says the sixteenth century nursery rhyme....and so it did last night.

I woke up to a wonderful white and grey land with snow everywhere.


The rhyme goes on ...

"And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing, poor thing."


 There were no signs of the robins we have seen here for years, and I hoped that they had found somewhere to shelter in one of the barns that are dotted around our village.



There's another variation of the rhyme which says
"He'll sit on a twig,
And we'll feed him some bread,
And he'll sing to say 'Thank you, my friends',
Poor thing!"

Well, the robins weren't perched where they usually were  and I'd seen neither hide or hair of them.





My dogs Boo and Eric didn't care at all, they were having far too much fun racing around the garden.



And I'm afraid I wasn't going out to look for the birds. Although I'd admired the wintery cloak of white everywhere through the sitting room window, I stayed inside all day by the fire.

Ah, the fire...one of the few pleasures of my least favourite season. There's something about the ritual of building a fire that I love. Scrunching the paper, laying the twigs on top, then adding the logs  - it's addictive.




But today all I had to do was light a match and watch as everything began to burn. Mr Thinking of the days had set the fire earlier before going out, and it sprang into life, drawing well.

By now the dogs were lying in front of the fire too....Eric asleep on my knee and Boo by my feet. They were both fast asleep until a hiss, a crackle from the fire woke them up briefly every now and again.

I sat there quietly....mesmerised by the flames, toasting my warm toes with no sounds to interfere with this special time.  My book lay on my lap unread, I sat there doing nothing , just thinking. And the beauty of it all was that I wasn't  expected to do anything and I wasn't  sitting there feeling guilty because I wasn't doing anything. After all, I'm supposed to be resting and recuperating.

Which I was doing ! Apart from looking outside to see if the robins had put in an appearance -  which they didn't.



Simple pleasures......


6 comments:

  1. Always love seeing what the snow can do. Your photos are good - and the warm fire - excellent. JC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JC..very much appreciated. I've been having another look at some of your gorgeous photos of the garden by the lake. Simply beautiful......would love to visit there .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos Bridget and I too love the ritual of laying a fire. It shouldn't take a period of recuperation for us to just sit and do nothing but we're all guilty of being too busy for our own good. Keep putting your feet up and I hope you'll be better than ever before long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alex! You're right of course, we all do far too much don't we? I am relaxing though....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're on the mend and with such wonderful views too. It's set to get warmer soon, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ros....and yes, the snow looked lovely. But I've got to the stage now where I hate having to drive in it!

    ReplyDelete